Whew

We made it through the worst part of this storm that has hit the Midwest with a vengeance. There's still 8+ inches of snow and ice resting all over the city, but we made it through 3 rough days of winter weather all without losing our power, thank you very much. The other night I was sitting here alone, Corey working the night shift, when our lights flickered. I almost started to cry. You see I am TERRIFIED of the dark and a dark+cold-husband night=saddest and SCARIEST night ever. Luckily, it was only a flicker and I was able to go to bed clothed in my pj's, soft socks, 3 blankets and heating pad for some extra warmth. 

My girlfriend emailed me the other day and said she wished she had some photography skills (she should take my workshop) so that she could photograph some of this winter wonder. She suggested I go out and document some of the giant icicles hanging off the trees. Although it sounded like a good idea, it only took me remembering that I would have to actually go outside in order to do that so icicles are one thing that will not be documented by me this winter. I will though take pictures of our nice fire burning right now. Will that work? 

Until the sun decides to return from it's hiatus the area around our house looks like a winter wonderland...or winter war zone, take your pick. Our six, tall trees that block our backyard from busy Beechmont (only five houses away) are so heavy with snow and ice they are taking a nice winter nap on our back deck. Not sure if they'll ever wake up again. And, our little tree that sits right in our front yard...it looks like it's using all it's branches to bow down to the snow below. I think one more minute of snow might break all it's poor branches. Come on, little guy, you can make it! Just because big brother split down the middle this past summer when hurricane Ike came through does not mean you have to join him! 

My car had some work done this past weekend and because of the weather it has been sitting at the service center all week. This means that minus our short trip to Blockbuster yesterday I have been sitting at home for five solid days. I told you. I wish I were a bear. It's really no different that my car hasn't been here anyway. Yesterday morning the news interrupted Ellen saying they have declared a stage 3 snow storm and anyone out on the road can legally be arrested. "Ma'am, I see on your record that you've been arrested before." "Yes, sir" "Might I ask why?" "I drove in the snow." "Well, ma'am, you know there's no possible way we can hire you for the job. You're going to have to find another orphanage that will hire ex-convicts." 

But, now I finally have my car back and tomorrow I have big plans for myself: bank, Kinkos, post office, gym (maybe), take a nap. You try driving and walking everywhere on an ice rink. It's no small task. These are the days that leave this Southern girl yelling inside, "STOP THE MADNESS!", but Ohio is where we're at these days and minus the winter war zones that pass through every once in awhile we like it. 

For now, I'm going to sit here with my electric heat, hot tea, blanket and sweatshirt and watch Oprah and then The Office all the while finishing this giant bag of conversation hearts (white...done, orange...done, on to yellow then green which will leave Corey yelling at me because I only left him pink and purple which he thinks tastes like soap). 

Here's to Spring which I KNOW is sure to be here before we know it. Right? 

(me, tomorrow. maybe I'll stay home after all...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are hilarious! :) Love this post.....